The case study on Colombia involves a body of work on the Colombian peace processes, in particular the currently ongoing process with the FARC. This peace process is, in its dimensions of complexity and public participation, highly important. Innovative modalities of inclusion and framing the agenda hold lessons for many other cases globally. Our work engages with the current negotiation and implementation processes, comparatively analyses previous peace accords and their trajectories, and looks at the processes of public participation and inclusion in the reconfiguration of the Colombian political settlement, as well as in different localities.
Our approach rests on a quantitative and qualitative assessment of Colombian peace agreements on the one hand, and a practice lab-based approach of action research on the other hand.
Colombia provides an important comparative case, as it has a highly active civil society with a long history of peace agreements. The current peace accord between the Colombian government and the FARC is the most extensive peace agreement in history, and touches upon all main issues of peace processes in considerable detail.
Christine Bell, (Global Justice Academy, University of Edinburgh), Alexander Ramsbotham, Zahbia Yousuf (Conciliation Resources)
Key Publications (search for more):
- Witt, F., & Balfe, K. (2016). Civil Society, Conflict Transformation, and Peace Building – a Christian Aid Ireland Learning Paper (PSRP Working Paper No. 4). Edinburgh: Global Justice Academy, University of Edinburgh.
- Bell, C., O’Rourke, C., & Matzner, S. (2015). A chronology of Colombian Peace Processes and Peace Agreements (PSRP Briefing Paper No. 1). Edinburgh: Global Justice Academy, University of Edinburgh.
- Bell, C. (2016). Lex Pacificatoria Colombiana: Colombia’s Peace Accord in Comparative Perspective. AJIL Unbound, 165–171.
- Close, S. (2018). Gendered Political Settlements: Examining Peace Transitions in Bougainville, Nepal and Colombia(PSRP Report). London: Conciliation Resources.
- Salamanca, R. E., Ramirez, L., Cárdenas, M., Yousuf, Z., & Close, S. (2017). Indigenous women and Colombia’s peace process (PSRP Report). London: Conciliation Resources.
- Author : Harriet Cornell
- Category : Case Studies, Colombia, Gender, Peace Processes
- Date : July 16, 2015
- Tags : Colombia Gender Peace Processes